On Aug 30, 2007, at 12:17 PM, Farrukh Najmi wrote:

Joshua ChaitinPollak wrote:
Hello,

I'm still having trouble with getting embedded tomcat to compile my JSPs.

What did you mean by "embedded tomcat"?
Is this a tomcat instance provided by an IDE like Netbeans?

No, not at all. I have a class in my own code that instantiates a copy of tomcat to run and hardcodes a Context to run for our application. Basically, we have a larger server application which runs an embedded tomcat to manage our webapp. This works great with Ant, but we are trying to move to Maven ASAP.

The problem is that no matter what I try, the Tomcat instance doesn't seem to find all of the needed jars, and I get Jasper compiler errors.

Right now I'm trying to understand the difference between javax.servlet:servlet-api and tomcat:servlet-api, and whether I need both of them, or just one. I'm currently explicitly depending on tomcat:servlet-api, but the javax dependency keeps being pulled in transitively.

AFAIK you should only depend upon javax.servlet:servlet-api and that should be done with dependency sub-element:

<scope>provided</scope>

I'm not running with an IDE's embedded tomcat, I'm running with my own tomcat, so I don't think I should say 'provided'. I think I need to provide all these Jars myself.

Can someone explain this to me? Do I need both? Should I exclude one?

HTH.

--
Regards,
Farrukh