I have a single web project which requires three distinct .war endstates,
where the only difference between each are the runtime dependencies (some
configuration files may also be different in the future).  Are there any
recommendations for accomplishing this?

Some background:
* The assembly plugin does not seem appropriate here, since the various
endstates are all primary artifacts; which leads me toward creating at least
a separate war project for each.
* WAR overlays currently seem to work, however, this requires me to create
essentially an "abstract" web project, which, although it compiles, does not
run (until it is declared as a dependency within another war).