Hi,

Andrew Leer schrieb:
I am making my first attempt at building a multiple-module project.

Should I use the maven-assembly-plugin, or the maven-jar-plugin?

just building a multi-module project doesn't imply you have to explicitly use the jar- or assembly-plugin. Think of a multi-module project building a J2EE application contained in an ear. You would just have a couple of projects with packaging types jar, war, and ear.

What is the difference between them?

The main purpose of the jar plugin is to provide the packaging for standard jar-type projects. It is used when you not explicitly specify a packaging in your pom or specify a packaging of type 'jar'.

The assembly-plugin's purpose is to build distributions of a project. For a standalone app for example you can use the assembly-plugin to put all jars of the project (including dependencies) in a directory structure and package that into an archive.

Does which plugin should be used have to do with if the project is a
standalone app, or something else?

Thank you,
    Andrew J. Leer

-Tim