As promised here is how I got it working, although I still don't see why
it would not just be a lot easier if I could include the following in my
assembly

    <dependencySet>
      <outputDirectory></outputDirectory>
      <unpack>true</unpack>
      <scope>runtime</scope>
      <includes>
        <include>org.openjump:openjump-core:1.2-SNAPSHOT:zip:bin</include>
      </includes>
    </dependencySet>

So here it is.

First in the pom.xml for A attach the bin assembly to project A with the
classifier bin

  <build>
         :
      <plugin>
        <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
        <artifactId>build-helper-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <id>attach-artifacts</id>
            <phase>package</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>attach-artifact</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
                <artifacts>
                  <artifact>
                    <file>target/A-1.0-SNAPSHOT-bin.zip</file>
                    <type>zip</type>
                    <classifier>bin</classifier>
                  </artifact>
                </artifacts>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

Second in the pom.xml for B extract the bin from A (note when making builds do
a clean first to ensure you don't have any old files)

  <build>
      :
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
         <executions>
           <execution>
             <id>unpack</id>
             <phase>package</phase>
             <goals>
               <goal>unpack</goal>
             </goals>
             <configuration>
               <artifactItems>
                 <artifactItem>
                   <groupId>A</groupId>
                   <artifactId>A</artifactId>
                   <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
                   <type>zip</type>
                   <classifier>bin</classifier>
                   <overWrite>true</overWrite>
                   <outputDirectory>target/A</outputDirectory>
                 </artifactItem>
               </artifactItems>
               <overWriteReleases>false</overWriteReleases>
               <overWriteSnapshots>true</overWriteSnapshots>
             </configuration>
           </execution>
         </executions>
       </plugin>
    </build>

Then in the assembly for B add the files to the output.

  <fileSets>
    <fileSet>
      <outputDirectory></outputDirectory>
      <directory>target/A</directory>