Yes, Maven is hard. I should agree, there is why:

New and buggy:
Maven is hard, because it is new and like all new stuffs, it's buggy.
Working around those little bugs or waiting for one good soul to provide a
patch is a pain... Expertise on Maven is also harder to find.

Black Box:
Maven is hard, because for most people , it is a black box. Like with all
black boxes, it's wonderful when it does what you want, and it is the worst
nightmare when it doesn't. Ant scripts are indeed much more easy to
accommodate. The true question is: "why is Maven not doing what I want" ?
And the true answer to this is: Because what I want to do is probably not
correct..."

-Toni