i want to execute/load a plugin only if a pom is of a certain packaging.

i want to express this in a parent pom which all my projects are inheriting
from. for instance: my assembly plugin should use a different assembly
descriptor if the packaging is set to war. for avoiding duplication i would
like to set this in one parent pom.

so is it possible to set conditional (in view of packaging type) plugin
execution? the pom.xml reference did not give me a hint for this...

thanks.