I myself like the war overlay idea as this allow not just JS to be
packaged, but also any static resources, like css stylesheets :
consider webapp skins, maanged as separate projects, and applied to
all apps in a company !

BUT I don't like that it cannot be used with lightweight servlet
engine jetty using the jetty:run goal...

Nico.