Lee Meador wrote:
2.1 and 2.2 are often non-useful.

Examples that don't show the <groupId> tag can be confusing. Maybe that's
just me but the <artifactId> in the example isn't enough. I think it has
something to do with plugins moving around from codehaus to maven to apache
and such.

Yes I totally agree, all examples *must* show both groupId and artifactId. I'll add some text about how to write good pom examples in the documentation standard.

Sometimes there are example of complicated things and no example of the
simple thing. I find the examples the best help for me.

This is where we need your help. To fill in the missing pieces. Please open a JIRA for that plugin when you are missing an example. It can be that you need either a simpler example or a more advanced one.

Suppose you get help, and an example, from someone on the user list and you think it should be added to the plugin site. If you can't create a patch yourself, then add a link in the JIRA issue to the relevant mail-thread in one of the mail archives:

  http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html

I don't usually find the part that looks like this useful:

*jarName* The name of the jar file.

   - *Type*: java.lang.String
   - *Required*: Yes
   - *Expression*: ${project.build.finalName}

I don't know which plugin the is for. How can we improve that particular option?

5.1 and 5.2 are frustrating because they often have just enough info to make
you think you know enough to use them.

For example, there are often "path" options but you don't know where they
path begins. Does it begin in the folder containing the POM that contains
the option itself? Or does it begin in the folder containing the POM that we
are currently building? (Parent or child pom location) Or does it begin in
the folder you were in when you typed "mvn"? What does ".." do when its at
the front of the path? Does the path specified in a parent pom get the path
from the parent to the child pom added to what was specified? The docs
should tell, in each case, exactly how that works.

Good point. Perhaps we could have a general page about how different types of options (like File) should be specified, and in your example where their root is. The we create an automatic link to that page for each such option.