I get the information from the maven site like the following:
You can specify your user configuration in
${user.home}/.m2/settings.xml .
But I can not find such file in my system,the os of my system is
windows,so it should be located at
c:\document and settings\administrator\.m2\settings.xml

when I start the maven turorial,I run the command:
mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app -DartifactId=my-app
and then maven generates the .\m2\reposity direcotry automatically,and
download some files into it.

I think the file ${MAVEN_HOME}\conf\settings.xml is on work,because I
need a proxy to connect to the Internet to download dependency files,I
configured the proxy in the ${MAVEN_HOME}\conf\settings.xml,and it
works.

But I still can not find the settings.xml file in the ~\.m2 folder.

Am I setting something wrong?

Thanks for any advice and instructions.