I'd try this last approach, using the "dir" format for the first pass to
sort of stage out the assembly to a directory structure. From there, you can
work on the assembly directory using a custom plugin, then take a second
pass of the assembly plugin to simply archive the staged directory into a
zip or whatever. I've done this for clients in the past, with good results.

-john