Make sure you have your pom type as "ear" (no quotes).

If you need your .project file to have certain natures so that eclipse will
"see" it as a certain type.
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/examples/provide-project-natures-and-build-commands.html

If you're using WTP, this might be helpful:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/wtp.html

HTH

Jim