Members of the Maven council...

Is Surefire's support for "suite" functionality limited to Junit 3?

TestNG's @BeforeSuite and @AfterSuite annotations are not supported by
Surefire.

Junit 4's equivalent to these methods are to set up a class as follows:

@RunWith(value=Suite.class)
@SuiteClasses(value={MyFirstTest.class, AnotherTest.class})
public class AllTests {

        @BeforeClass
        public void doStuffBeforeSuiteRuns() {
        }

        @AfterClass
        public void doStuffAfterSuiteRuns() {
        }

        @Test
        public void testMyStuff() {
        }

}

I then point Surefire to this class and it says no tests were found
(!!!) (and yes, it found the class).  Even the testMyStuff() method was
not found as a test!

Is there some matrix out there that shows what annotations are supported
by Surefire?  Does anyone else out there have code running before/after
their suites with Junit 4 or TestNG 5?  Is my only option here Junit 3
(frown)?

Thanks so much!

Joel