Hi,

is the pom where the assembly is build also used as the parent pom for
the modules? If yes, you've hit a design flaw in maven. Currently, the
parent relationship introduces a dependency from child to parent, hence
the parent is build first and the artifact of the child doesn't exist
yet. Look at your log output, you should see that the parent project is
build first.

See this thread [1] for an explanation from a developer. If you  need to
create the assembly attached to the build lifecycle instead of the
proposed solution to just build it manually you need to factor out
either the parent-pom features or the assembly building stuff to a
separate pom.

-Tim

[1]
http://www.nabble.com/Problem-attaching-assembly-to-multi-module-pom-project-tf4576505s177.html#a13063505n