we are not splitting repositories for releases and snapshots. in our case we
are modularizing our "bigger" application to single maven artifacts, so when
developing for a new release, changes (fixes, features) are often added
often to more than one project. as soon there is a change we switch from
release mode to snapshot mode for the new release.

i think the main reason to split repositories is if you have got public
libraries which external organisations/companies are using. i think in that
case it is senseful to have a strict isolated view.

but if you're developing for a new release and if you've got many modules,
which are "forming one bigger" application i would not split repositories,
because in that situation i do not want to have a separated snapshot vs.
release view.

the first post mentioned hygiene: i still look for a way to get an overview
of the dependencies of all my internal modules (release or snapshot
version). especially when working with lots of modules and still supporting
older releases in branches an overview of module-couplings could be
invaluable.
i know that in the standard report of a project you can see the
library-dependencies of one module. what i miss is the bigger pictures of
the dependencies between all modules you are working on during development.