Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are changing the parent-pom in you projects??
Doesn't sound like very stable development to me...

Anyway, there is a way to activate profiles based on parent-POMs, it's just
not a very obvious one...
If you set your profiles to be activated when a specific property is set to a
specific value, you can configure all your profiles as you want and set these
properties with the correct values in the parent-POM.

Example:

<profiles>
  <profile>
    <activation>
      <property>
        <name>parentPom</name>
        <value>firstParent</value>
      </property>
    </activation>
    <modules>
      <module>module1</module>
    </module>
  </profile>
  <profile>
    <activation>
      <property>
        <name>parentPom</name>
        <value>secondParent</value>
      </property>
    </activation>
    <modules>
      <module>module2</module>
      <module>module3</module>
    </module>
  </profile>
</profiles>

And then in the first parent-POM you define something like:

<properties>
  <parentPom>firstParent</parentPom>
</properties>

And in the second:

<properties>
  <parentPom>secondParent</parentPom>
</properties>

Mind you that I haven't tested this, but from normal logic I think this should
work. At least it's worth a try, 'cause you don't need to trigger the
profiles from the commandline this way.

Oh, and in case I misunderstood your problem and therefore this is not a
solution to it, please feel free to post again and help me understand
better. ;-)

Roland

--
Roland Asmann

CFC Informationssysteme Entwicklungsgesellschaft m.b.H
Bäckerstrasse 1/2/7
A-1010 Wien
FN 266155f, Handelsgericht Wien

Tel.: +43/1/513 88 77 - 27