Would this parent POM be in project A or B, or would it be in its own Eclipse
project that contains nothing but a pom.xml?

Wouldn't your suggested approach result in project A getting included as a
project-dependency in project B, which isn't necessary? (There'd be a
bidirectional relationship between project A and B?)

When packaging project A, would project B's JAR be packaged and included, or
would I add a separate dependency element just for that?

Thanks.