I'd really (really really) try not to mess with the maven versioning - it's
a recipe for having to custom write loads of stuff, and it really is pretty
fundamental to the operation of maven. Without it, I'm not sure there's much
reason to change if it's currently working...
That said... Is there some reason the JARs *can't* have a version (I.E. why
can't you create 4 website projects with the dependencies of the JARs set to
particular versions)?

 You can always write a custom script or MOJO (ANT or GROOVY) to move things
about during the build (including the repository) - perhaps that's a way
forward?