I have also determined using -X debugging that the plugin appears to be
getting configured:

[DEBUG] Configuring mojo
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin:2.0-alpha-5-SNAPSHOT:resolve'
-->
[DEBUG]   (f) excludeGroupIds = com.mydomain
[INFO] [dependency:resolve]
[DEBUG] Including Transitive Dependencies.
[DEBUG] Excluding 1 GroupId: com.mydomain

So, the plugin is correctly configured, however Maven is still trying to
download this dependency. It is probably because I have another module with
a dependency on this jar and before the resolve plugin has a chance to
execute, the simple discovery of dependent POM files is triggering this
error.

-- jim