That answers the environment and variable substitution part.
But how would maven help me in building parts of the project.

Say I want to build only a file in the subdirectory like make abc.java
or make [which builds just the subdirectory and dependent jave files from
the parent and grand parent root directories]

This will help the DEV teams they dont need to run the complete build
instead just build that changed class to test.

Thanks for your response earlier regarding profiles and filter resource
files.