Generally, people would write a script (Bash, Ksh, Perl, Python, Ruby,
etc) to do this for them. I seem to recall reading one that someone
wrote some time -- it was either posted on this list, or on the
Internet. Try Googling for it, or write it yourself from scratch --
should be pretty simple.

Wayne