In my opinion, the dependency on surefire 2.3.1+ is a required dependency
since unit testing is broken when reading from the classpath.

Can a Maven committer please add such notes to the 2.0.8 releases notes
under "Changes that may affect existing builds"? Unfortunately referencing
MNG-3118 is just not good enough since it doesn't propose how to resolve
this common problem.

Paul