Yeah, I'm having much better results (they're blank, but in a format that's
recognizable) using:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
      <artifactId>maven-project</artifactId>
      <version>2.0.4</version>
    </dependency>

But what's weird is I'm seeing this:

<snip>
        MavenProject proj = new MavenProject();
        getLog().info("artifact ID here "+proj.getArtifactId());
</snip>

Yeilds:

artifact ID here empty-project

I'm guessing I need to do something that gets an instance of the current
project.  How does one do this from their AbstractMojo based plugin?