I ended up stealing some of the code from the Assembly plugin.  However,
there are a couple of dependencies that it was still always resolving
incorrectly.  I believe that there may be someone incorrect with the pom's
for these projects that is causing the issue:

[WARNING] Attempting to build MavenProject instance for Artifact
(org.apache.camel:camel-core:1.3-20071212.032026-32) of type: jar;
constructing POM artifact instead.
[WARNING] Attempting to build MavenProject instance for Artifact
(org.apache.activemq:activeio-core:3.1-20071217.010134-271) of type:
test-jar; constructing POM artifact instead.
[WARNING] Attempting to build MavenProject instance for Artifact
(org.apache.camel:camel-http:1.3-20071212.032026-30) of type: jar;
constructing POM artifact instead.
[WARNING] Attempting to build MavenProject instance for Artifact
(org.apache.commons:commons-io:1.3.2) of type: jar; constructing POM
artifact instead.

Regardless, I found a workaround for my scenario.  Thnaks for the help.