From: Thomas Chang [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 7:06 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: A question about <version> in <dependency> in pom.xml

Now I do as follow in the "settings.xml":

  <profiles>
  <profile>
  <properties>
  <my.junit.version>3.8.1</my.junit.version>
  </properties>
  </profile>
  </profiles>

  And it runs successful when I run "mvn clean". But as I run "´mvn compile" I
got error as follow:

  Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/junit/junit/{my.junit.version}/junit-
{my.junit.version}.jar
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
  Missing:
----------
1) junit:junit:jar:{my.junit.version}
    Then, install it using the command:
      mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=junit -DartifactId=junit \
          -Dversion={my.junit.version} -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file
Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the file there:
    mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=junit -DartifactId=junit \
          -Dversion={my.junit.version} -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file \
           -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]
    Path to dependency:
        1) com.wei.chen.app:TestXml:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT
        2) junit:junit:jar:{my.junit.version}
  ----------
1 required artifact is missing.
  for artifact:
  com.wei.chen.app:TestXml:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT
  from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

  ************************
  My fault: the <properties> tag must be inside a profile and not at the
<settings> level.

Jeff

On Jan 2, 2008 11:41 AM, Thomas Chang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think you mean:
>  <properties>
>        <my.junit.group>xxxx</my.junit.group>
> </properties>
>
>  Right?
>
>  I put this at the end of "settings.xml". But I got error as I run
 mvn
> command such as mvn clean:
>  E:\Projekte\TestXml>mvn clean
> Error reading settings.xml: Unrecognised tag: 'properties' (position:
> START_TAG seen ...</profiles>\r\n\r\n\t<properties>... @240:14)
>  Line:   240
>  Column: 14
>  E:\Projekte\TestXml>
>

>  ******************
>  In your settings.xml files, insert the following code under the
> settings
> element:
>
>     <properties>
>        <my.junit.group>xxxx</libs_project_home>
>      </properties>
>
> Jeff
>
> On Jan 2, 2008 11:12 AM, Thomas Chang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the answer.
> >
> >  Could you give an example how to set these properties in the
>  settings.xml?
> > :-/
> >

> >  ***************************
> >  Maven will do it automatically if you defines theses properties in
>  your
> > setting.xml files.
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> > On Jan 2, 2008 10:53 AM, Thomas Chang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:

> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > >  Normally the <version> in <dependency> in pom.xml look as
 follow:
> > >  <dependency>
> > >  <groupId>junit</groupId>
> > >  <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
> > >  <version>3.8.1</version>
> > >  </dependency>
> > >
> > >  Now I want to do as follow:
> > >  <dependency>
> > >  <groupId>{my.junit.group}</groupId>
> > >  <artifactId>{my.junit.artifactId}</artifactId>
> > >  <version>{my.junit.version}</version>
> > >  </dependency>
> > >
> > >  The values of {my.junit.group} etc. will be defined in an other
> >  file. Now
> > > my question: How can I configure the pom.xml so that it knows to
>  read
> > > these values from the file where the {my.junit.group} etc.
 defined?

> > >  Regards
> > >
> > >  Thomas
>

> ---------------------------------
> Jetzt Mails schnell in einem Vorschaufenster überfliegen. Dies und
 viel
> mehr bietet das  neue Yahoo! Mail.

---------------------------------
Beginnen Sie den Tag mit den neuesten Nachrichten. Machen Sie Yahoo! zu Ihrer
Startseite!

This email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. Any unauthorized
use, disclosure, dissemination or copying of this email is prohibited. Taifook
Securities Group, its group companies and their content providers ("Parties")
shall not be responsible for the accuracy or completeness of this email or its
attachment, if any, which could contain virus, be corrupted, destroyed,
incomplete, intercepted, lost or arrive late.   The Parties do not accept
liability for any damage caused by this email.