I wasn't quite sure what you were asking, but I got my logging working
properly with Maven test by adding following configuration to pom.xml.

<plugin>
        <version>2.2</version>
        <configuration>
                <useFile>false</useFile>
                <printSummary>true</printSummary>
                <forkMode>pertest</forkMode>
                <systemProperties>
                        <property>
                        <name>log4j.configuration</name>

<value>file:${basedir}/src/test/resources/log4j.properties</value>
                    </property>
                </systemProperties>
        </configuration>
</plugin>

By this I have differend log4j settings with Junit tests and development.