Hey Roy,

It cannot handle multiple download or even parallel builds.

Look into this proposal:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Local+repository+separation
It is not implemented and nobody knows if it will be implemented. There
was discussion on dev
group about this proposal - you can find it - if you want to know more.

I'm afraid you have to create multiple local repositories. You may have
local "mirror" repository
to avoid multiple downloads problem.

Piotr Tabor