Thanks for the reply Wendy.

<dependencies>...</dependencies> seems to only exist as a <plugin>
subelement for <build>, not in <reporting>.  Both
<dependencies>...</dependencies> and <dependency>...</dependency> yield
"unrecognized tag" errors for parsing in the <reporting> section.

Interestingly, Eclipse autocompletion is happy to put a <dependency> element
after <configuration>!