First an update: removing this <plugin> from both the SuperPOM and the
Project parent POM, caused my forked lifecycle message to go away.

I tried doing like this page does
 http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-source-plugin/usage.html
ie. changing the original
     <plugin>
      <artifactId>maven-source-plugin</artifactId>
      <executions>
       <execution>
        <goals>
         <goal>jar</goal>
         <goal>test-jar</goal>
        </goals>
       </execution>
      </executions>
     <plugin>
      <artifactId>maven-source-plugin</artifactId>
      <executions>
       <execution>
        <id>attach-sources</id>
        <phase>verify</phase>
        <goals>
         <goal>jar</goal>
         <goal>test-jar</goal>
        </goals>
       </execution>
      </executions>

And that slimmed down the forking for ordinary jar project, but my
problem project (which builds an Eclipse source plugin for a bunch of
Felix maven-bundle-plugin built OSGi plugins), still has a problem with
this.

And I guess you have the explanation for that below:

[snip!]
>     * Invokes the execution of the lifecycle phase generate-sources
> prior to executing itself.

> Notice the last statement. If you have anything bound to
> generate-sources (I think this is the default binding of the dependency
> plugin) then it will run multiple times.

Not only that: I've added a <phase> putting it there...:-)

So... if I move it to eg. generate-sources, I may get rid of the
problem?  I'll try, and post back the results.

Apparently I can't get rid of the forked lifecycle issue:
 http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSOURCES-13

Thanx!

- Steinar