Because the default repository "central" is always a repository. This one can only be overridden by a mirror section in your settings.xml.

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

Brewster, Richard wrote:
We have set up Artifactory at our company and the only references in
<repositories> refer to Artifactory.  Yet Maven seems to go around
Artificatory for some artifacts.  When building up a clean, empty local
repository, some artifacts are found that are not cached in Artifactory.
How can this be happening?  Some examples:

Downloading:
http://maven.openqa.org/bouncycastle/bcprov-jdk15/135/bcprov-jdk15-135.j
ar
Downloading: