thanks for the information.

I want  to do this is because certain jars are not in the maven
repositories. I know the option I can have is to install a local repo but
that can be quite time consuming and if I have multiple machines, I have to
do it on each of them or must go to the length of setting up a local web
server just for maven.

dropping those into WEB-INF/lib means they always go with the project rather
than have to setup each and every time. And given the delicacy of how a
simple version change can break things, I sometimes find maven2's transitive
dependency doing more harm then help having my specific WEB-INF/lib version
is much better.

In fact, under eclipse(and the m2eclipse plugin), I am effectively working
in this mode. It is just that when I want to do it outside eclispse, I don't
know how to.

The main issue with local maven repo is that maintaining it requires quote
some efforts.