I found the solution, for using Jakarta Taglibs in JBoss/Tomcat with Maven:

1. Place the following dependencies in the pom.xml of your Web Application
project:
                <dependency>
                    <groupId>taglibs</groupId>
                    <artifactId>standard</artifactId>
                    <version>1.1.2</version>
                </dependency>

                <dependency>
                        <groupId>taglibs</groupId>
                        <artifactId>x</artifactId>
                        <version>1.1.2</version>
                        <type>tld</type>
                </dependency>

  Notice that the 2nd dependency saves you the trouble of extracting the TLD
from the jar file.

2. Maven-War-Plugin, copies the JAR file into WEB-INF/lib and the TLD file
into WEB-INF/tld:
        <build>
                <plugins>
                        <plugin>
                                <version>2.0.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
                        </plugin>
                </plugins>
        </build>

3. In the web.xml of your web application, place the following lines:
        <taglib>
                <taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/xml</taglib-uri>
                <taglib-location>tld/x-1.1.2.tld</taglib-location>
        </taglib>

The taglib URI was taken from the <uri> element in the x-1.1.2.tld file.
the location is relative to WEB-INF directory.

4. Place the following line in the JSP file:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/xml"; prefix="x" %>

5. Use the tags defines in the tld with <x:tag-name></x:tag-name>

AsafM wrote:

> But you are required to specify their .TLD file location, in web.xml:
>       <taglib>
>               <taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/xml</taglib-uri>
>               <taglib-location>WEB-INF/x.tld</taglib-location>
>       </taglib>
>
> The problem here is that it requires you to copy the x.tld file manually
> into WEB-INF directory. It you specify a JAR file, it searches for a
> specific filename (I think its library.tld).
>

> nicolas de loof-3 wrote:
>>
>> taglibs don't require to have TLD files extracted from jars as long as
>> you
>> use the taglib URI in your JSP <%@ taglib %> directives. Use maven to get
>> jars in your web-inf/lib and all taglibs will be detected at server
>> startup.
>>
>> Nico.
>>

>> 2008/1/13, AsafM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>>

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have a web application we're developing,  using servlets and JSP's on
>>> JBoss with embedded Tomcat.
>>>
>>> We want to use Jakarta taglib, which comes as a JAR file from maven
>>> repository (the global one).
>>>
>>> The problem is that using it requires a manual-copy step of the .TLD
>>> files
>>> from the META-INF directory in the JAR file to our
>>> src/main/webapp/WEB-INF