You're right, properties interpolation IS NOT used to compute file path
during profile activation.
The main cause is that profiles may define / override properties values.

I agree that some properties like ${basedir} and ${settings.x} MAY be
supported, as this restriction makes the file based activation useless.

Not sure but there may allready be a Jira issue about this. Please search or
create one for this, as this SHOULD be fixed in future maven 2.x

Nico.