Nick: for maven2, if a pom declares a dependency on something that itself has
non-optional dependencies, then they should get *immediately* downloaded.

cmd: is the small bit of config you originally posted nested inside a
<dependencyManagement> section? If so, that is wrong.

Otherwise, please tell us why you think the dependencies of the
org.springframework:spring library have not been downloaded.

Regards, Simon