Hi Daniele,
thanks. I tried with 0.3.1 version of cargo plugin and used the id as
jboss42x but mvn cargo:start threw the error below

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'cargo'.
[INFO]
[INFO] Building jobsstest Maven Webapp
[INFO]    task-segment: [cargo:start]
[INFO]
[INFO] [cargo:start]
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Cannot create configuration. There's no registered configuration for
the parameters (container [id = [jboss42x], type = [installed]], conf
iguration type [standalone]). Actually there are no valid types registered
for this configuration. Maybe you've made a mistake spelling it?
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
org.codehaus.cargo.container.ContainerException: Cannot create
configuration. There's no registered configuration for the parameters
(container [
id = [jboss42x], type = [installed]], configuration type [standalone]).
Actually there are no valid types registered for this configuration. Mayb
e you've made a mistake spelling it?
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.generic.spi.AbstractGenericHintFactory.createImplementation
(AbstractGenericHintFactory.java:143)
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.generic.spi.AbstractIntrospectionGenericHintFactory.createImplementation
(AbstractIntrospectionGenericHintFactory.ja
va:86)
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.generic.configuration.DefaultConfigurationFactory.createConfiguration
(DefaultConfigurationFactory.java:205)
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.maven2.configuration.Configuration.createConfiguration(
Configuration.java:131)
        at org.codehaus.cargo.maven2.AbstractCargoMojo.createConfiguration(
AbstractCargoMojo.java:292)
        at org.codehaus.cargo.maven2.AbstractCargoMojo.createNewContainer(
AbstractCargoMojo.java:380)
        at org.codehaus.cargo.maven2.AbstractCargoMojo.createContainer(
AbstractCargoMojo.java:320)
        at org.codehaus.cargo.maven2.ContainerStartMojo.doExecute(
ContainerStartMojo.java:52)
        at org.codehaus.cargo.maven2.AbstractCargoMojo.execute(
AbstractCargoMojo.java:243)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(
DefaultPluginManager.java:443)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:539)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:493)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:463)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:311)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:278)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:143)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:334)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:125)
NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java
:315)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java
:430)
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 14 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Fri Jan 18 18:01:04 GMT+05:30 2008
[INFO] Final Memory: 3M/6M
[INFO]

Looks like the plugin is not recognizing jboss42x with type installed. Or is
there something that I am missing?
Below is relevant part of my pom.xml.

<pluginRepositories>
  <pluginRepository>
    <id>codehaus snapshot repository</id>
    <url>http://repository.codehaus.org/</url>
    <releases>
      <enabled>true</enabled>
    </releases>
  </pluginRepository>
</pluginRepositories>
 <dependencies>
  </dependencies>
  <build>
    <finalName>jobsstest</finalName>
    <defaultGoal>package</defaultGoal>
        <plugins>
        <plugin>
        <groupId>org.codehaus.cargo</groupId>
        <artifactId>cargo-maven2-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>0.3.1</version>
           <configuration>
          <container>
            <containerId>jboss42x</containerId>
            <home>E:/jboss-4.2.0.GA</home>
          </container>
          </configuration>
        </plugin>
        </plugins>
  </build>

I haven't tried yet the building of resources for the cargo plugin as told
by you. Need to look into svn, haven't used it. Worked with CVS.
Regards,
Amit