If it's read-only you won't be able to make some changes after release:prepare. Don't you ?
I probably missed something. To make a release:
1 - execute release:perform
2 - check if everything is ok, if not correct the problems.
3 - re-execute release:perform to take the correction
4 - execute release:perform.

On the step 3, you move the tag( using cvs ), or do you create a new one ?

Benoit

Kalle Korhonen wrote:
Move - you mean change? If so, that's completely dependent on your scm. With
svn, one of the easiest ways to accomplish that is with permissions; simply
make it read-only.

Kalle