Not sure why your Ant script isn't working. Are you sure it works if
you execute it in Ant? I'm not sure when exploded is bound -- check -X
to make sure your Ant happens after exploded etc.

You could also patch the war plugin to support an additional parameter
(or just use warName) when war:exploded is executed.

Donate your patch back via JIRA and we can all benefit.

Wayne