So I figured out the issue and I was wondering if I could get a little
guidance.  The javadoc plugin when it executes the javadoc:javadoc goal
attempts to determine the version of the VM its running.  I suspect its
parsing the java.vm.version string.  On the platform I'm on, that is
different than the expected 1.5.x etc. format.  Its actually
OS-VERSION-VMVERSION format which causes a NumberFormatException when
javadoc is ran the plugin.
Is there any reason why it isn't using the java.version System property
instead which is more generic across different Java implementations?  I had
a very similar issue with another plugin (native2ascii) that was assuming
certain things about the platform.

Any guidance would be appreciated,

-aps

--
"What lies behind us and what lies in front of us is of little concern to
what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson