These approaches both involve resolving each jar as an individual
separate dependency, a large amount of manual effort for a couple of
reasons.  I'd have to specify 50 new dependencies in the POM, and then
I'd have to stage these artifacts separately in our internal repository.
This jar collection is certified by our internal QA process, although
some of them are probably sitting out on Maven central, we're not just
going to take whatever comes off a public repository without certifying
it first.

So basically what I'm needing to do is specify a single dependency that
is composed of 50-something arbitrary jars.  I was able to do this in
Ivy, I figured Maven would likewise have a way to accomplish this
result.