Compile directly with javac, set your classpath manually with -cp, and
use -verbose so you know what class (and line?) it quits on. Its also
possible (likely?) that a similar verbose setting may exist in plexus
compiler, but I'm just not sure and I haven't looked, so you might be
able to get the same info directly out of Maven, but I find it pretty
simple to debug this kind of problem with javac directly.

Wayne