Hello,
maybe I misunderstand something about snapshots, but I have the following
problem:
1. I have a non-Maven project which I export into a jar file and then
install as a snapshot onto my local repository running on Archiva with this
command:

mvn deploy:deploy-file -Dfile=Project.jar -DgroupId=com.company.project
-DartifactId=project -Dversion=2.2-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar
-DgeneratePom=true -Durl=http://[someip]/archiva/repository/myRepository
-DrepositoryId=archiva.default

2. The very first version of that jar that was deployed onto the repository
is saved as project-2.2-SNAPSHOT.jar.

3. As expected, any further jars that I deploy onto the local repository get
saved as e.g. project-2.2-20080226.143100-1.jar

4.  The problem is that when I reference that jar in any other project, when
I build the other project, only the project-2.2-SNAPSHOT.jar version (the
very first one that was installed) is picked up in the output war and ear
files.

5. I can see that the actual snapshots, e.g.
project-2.2-20080226.143100-1.jar do get downloaded from the internal
repository and installed onto my local repository, but they're never used by
referencing projects.

6. I'm using the Maven Plugin for Eclipse and what is strange is that in the
Maven Dependencies tree in all referencing projects, I see the
project-2.2-SNAPSHOT.jar file, but in the plugin logs on the Console I can
see this:
project: resolved to version project-2.2-20080226.143100-1 from repository
myRepository

7. I reference this jar in other projects as:
<dependency>
  <groupId>com.company.project</groupId>
  <artifactId>project</artifactId>
  <version>[2,)</version>