I've heard rumours about something called "shell scripts" or "batch files".

According to the speculation that I've seen about these things, they would
provide the ability you are looking for

Unfortunately they are not XML files, so you have to learn a whole new
syntax.

Some of them start with "#!/bin/bash" while others start with "@echo off"
and then they have a sort of stream of conciousness list of commands