Hello maven users,

I encountered a curiosity in our maven dependency graph, while trying to find out why our webapp was failing.

What is the suggested and most proper solution when a library X and a library Y are "providing" the same api.

Am using myfaces api and myfaces impl. Both are implementation respectively of the jsf-api and jsf-impl of sun. However, a few jsf based library are marked as depending on jsf-api and jsf-impl. Is there some way to tell maven that myfaces-api and myfaces-impl are the same as jsf-api and jsf-impl and, as such, that if it encounter jsf-api or jsf-impl in the dependencies transitivity, it should not take that into consideration cause myfaecs was used higher in the graph? I could use restriction, but since the dependency to jsf can go deep in the graph using several path, with pom will be bloated with <restriction> ... There are quite a good amount of sun tools that have an equivalent counter-part in apache project i think.

--
David Delbecq
Institut Royal Météorologique