Agreed, though there's a lot of things that are not complex.
But as I said, nobody here ever use UTC (and there's very little chance we are going to ever need it). This would obviously be possible to teach our developer what UTC is, and how to shift the time by themselves.
But I really think this would be useless inside our company.
It's just that it's far easier than maintaining a local fork of a plugin, considering your requirement it that "developper should be able to find out if their commit are part of a given snapshot" :) Generally in project, i don't like to see attempts at using a tool for something it was not designed for, unless there are string reasons behind this. One of the purposes of snapshots numbering it to guarantee their order. If you use localtime you risk to break that, unless you don't forget to include the UTC shift used at build time. If you don't take care, when the time changes from summer to winter, and your snaphsots build make 2 snapshots (for whatever reason) around the time change, you can end up with most recent snapshot having the oldest time...

--
David Delbecq
Institut Royal Météorologique