We are running into an issue with one of our child projects.
The compiler:testCompile builds the tests we expect, but wait! then it does more: it starts looking in "." for more tests to compile, revisiting files it has already built via a different path. The compile fails with both a duplicate class error and a bad class file error since

   ./test/my/package/MyClass.java
conflicts with
   my.package.MyClass
and does not contain
   test.my.package.MyClass
but instead contains
   my.package.MyClass

I've got debug and verbose turned on for the compiler plugin and for maven and I can see that "." is the last entry in the search path for source files, after a large number of
   /home/me/.m2/repository/dependencies/xxx-tests.jar, etc,
we see
  .]]
in the test source path

This is not explicitly specified in the pom or the parent pom.

Why! Where is it coming from? What further paths of investigation are recommended before debugging the compiler plugin!?

-s