According to the documentation the metadata-updater will do the
following:

metadata-updater - Updates artifact metadata files depending on the
content of the repository.

I have been testing this by deploying several artifacts to the
repository and getting a specific timestamp and build number in the
maven-metatadata.xml file.  Next, I delete the latest (snapshot) build
from the repo, including checksums.  I run the repository scanner and
the database-updater and this file is never fixed based on the actual
contents of the file system.  Archive updates it internal metadata, but
not maven's metadata and thus maven fails to download the artifact.