Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with the exec-maven-plugin. I've got a project setup with two sub-modules, and when I run the exec plugin on a main class that is in one module that depends on another, I get an error that the dependancy module is not in the repository. I don't want to have to install the project just to exec it, and unit testing works with dependancies without installing, so I'm a bit puzzled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a more concrete example:

MyProj
   +-----------ModuleA
   +-----------ModuleB

ModuleB depends on ModuleA and has a class with a main function.

If I run "mvn compile exec:java - Dexec.mainClass="MyProj.ModuleB.MyClass"

INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Missing:
----------
1) MyProj:ModuleA.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT

  Then, install it using the command:
mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=MyProj -DartifactId=ModuleA - Dversion=1-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file

Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the file there: mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=MyProj -DartifactId=ModuleA - Dversion=1-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] - DrepositoryId=[id]

  Path to dependency:
        1) MyProj:ModuleA.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT
        2) MyProj:ModuleB.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT

--
Joshua ChaitinPollak | Software Engineer
Kiva Systems, Inc., 225 Wildwood Ave, Woburn, MA 01970