You need to add an <execution> in your POM like:

<build>
  <plugins>
    <plugin>
      <artifactId>maven-whatever-plugin</artifactId>
      <executions>
        <goals>
          <goal>assemble</goal>
        </goals>
      </executions>
    </plugin>
  </plugins>
</build>

The fact that you specified the @phase in your mojo will attach the
execution automatically to the process-resources phase.

-Olivier