From: Salvador Diaz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:01 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: POM variables not expanded in resulting poms

I noticed the very same thing and I also thought it was a bug because
the eclipse plugin is unable to use such poms (with unexpanded
variables) for artifact resolution. Running "mvn eclipse:eclipse" on a
project inheriting one of those artifacts gives the following error:

[WARNING] POM for
'myproject:com.mycompany.core:pom:0.21.0SNAPSHOT:compile' is invalid. It

will be ignored for artifact resolution. Reason: Failed to validate POM
for project ${myproject.groupId}:com.mycompany.core at Artifact
[myproject:com.mycompany.core:pom:0.21.0SNAPSHOT:compile]

Once this happens, one of the main advantages of maven is lost:
transitive dependencies. Is it a bug or an expected behavior ? Is there
something I'm missing here? Normally that variable should be resolved as

it is defined in one of the profiles defined in my settings.xml which is

always activated.