I couldn't work out if the cargo requires an already installed app server? I
used jetty because its 100% embedded (ie works out the box no one needs to
install tomcat/jboss/jetty/whatever).

This is not for applicaiton testing, more to bring up a development/working
geoserver for the developer to manipulate/configure the GEOSERVER_DATA they
want packed into their customized distro.