You can checkout a project without a pom like this:

mvn scm:checkout -DconnectionUrl=[YOUR_SCM_URL]

All options are defined here:
http://maven.apache.org/scm/plugins/checkout-mojo.html

The bootstrap goal should work with something like this:

mvn scm:bootstrap -DconnectionUrl=[YOUR_SCM_URL] -Dgoal=deploy

Emmanuel